Last modified: 2010-09-18 by francisco gregoric
Keywords: partido de bragado | bragado | giommi (césar) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
|image by Ivan Sache, 03 Mar 2009|
The municipality of Bragado (40,373 inhabitants, 2,212 sq. km) is
located in the central North-East of the Province of Buenos Aires, in
the heart of the pampa. The municipality of Bragado is made of the
town of Bragado and of the villages of O'Brien, Mechita, Comodoro Py,
Irala, Warnes, Olascoaga, Máximo Fernández, La Limpia and Asamblea.
The town of Bragado was formed on 5 March 1846 as the Military Canton of Santa Rosa del Bragado during the struggle against the Indians; the municipality of Bragado was created on 17 October 1851 while Bragado was proclaimed a town in 1908.
Ivan Sache, 17 Oct 2008
The municipal website announced on 14 October 2008 the launching of a
competition for the design of the municipal flag. The town has already
a coat of arms, designed by Pr. Cormarck, but no flag yet.
All the education institutes of the town are invited to submit
proposals, from which a jury will draw a short list of 10 entries from
which the jury will extract the winning design. The flag is expected
to be selected before the end of the year.
Ivan Sache, 17 Oct 2008
On 17 October 2008, I presented the municipality of Bragado, which had
just announced its flag contest. The winning design was expected to be
unveiled before the end of the year. The selection process seems to
have taken a few more months, but we do have a winner!
The municipal website, 25 February 2009, reports that the results of the contest were proclaimed by the jury on 24 February 2009. The winning design was proposed by César Giommi, from the village of Mechita.
The flag is divided blue-green by the descending diagonal, with a white emblem in the middle, surrounded by a ring of ten four-pointed stars. The blue upper triangle represents the sky, while the green lower triangle represents agriculture and cattle-breeding. The central emblem recalls "the colt's knickers", at the origin of the name of the town.
The stars represent the settlements of Bragado scattered over the four compass directions.
The flag shall be officially inaugurated on 5 March during the celebration of the foundation of the town.
The legend of the "Potro Bragado" (something like "the colt with
knickers"), at the "origin" of the name of Bragado, is explained on
the municipal website as follows. In the 18th century, a beautiful,
wild colt used to drink water in the great laguna; the colt had a
white "knicker" (spot) on the underbelly. Both the soldiers settling
the "desert" and the natives attempted to capture the colt, to no
avail. Finally, the colt was blocked by a group of natives on a rocky
spur dominating the laguna; instead of being captured, the colt jumped
down into the precipice.
The official emblem of Bragado shows the famous colt standing on the rocky spur. It is noticeable that the flag designer did not directly incorporate elements from the emblem but found a way to recall its most striking part.
Ivan Sache, 03 Mar 2009
Anything below this line was not added by the editor of this page.