Last modified: 2011-06-10 by francisco gregoric
Keywords: tucumán | provincia de tucumán | casa histórica | cross (white) | wreath | number: 1812 | number: 1814 | number: 1816 | date: 1812 | date: 1814 | date: 1816 | carrillo bascary (miguel) | linares (alfredo guido) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
On April 13, 2010, the provincial legislature of Tucumán
adopted the new flag for the province based on the "Bandera
Chrystian Kretowicz, 14 apr 2010
According to "El Diario 24", 17 June 2010, the official inauguration
of the flag was scheduled to 18 June 2010 in the session hall of the
"Honorable Concejo Deliberante" (HCD, Municipal Council) of the Town
of San Miguel de Tucumán. Jorge Mendía, Susana Montaldo and Antonio
Raed, who had tabled the flag bill at the provincial assembly, will
present the new flag to Ramón Santiago Cano, President of the HCD.
As prescribed in a bill tabled on 8 June by Councillor Raúl Peligrini and adopted by the HCD, the flag shall be hoisted on municipal buildings.
Ivan Sache, 21 Jun 2010
Tucumán used several different designs of coat of arms during its history.
In order to end this lack of uniformity, an official provincial coat of arms of Tucumán was adopted by Law No.1988 on November 21, 1946.
Its design is similar to the Argentine coat of arms. However it does not have the usual raising sun that appears in the national and in several provincial coats of arms.
Francisco Gregoric, 13 Mar 2008
In 1812 the friar Joaquín Masian, custodian of the Convent of San Francisco, recorded in the convent archives that an Argentine flag was made for the San Francisco School. Friar Masian wrote:
“En la escuela se ha puesto una bandera de tafetán celeste y blanca con sus borlas de lo mismo y dos cintas de mas de cuatro dedos de ancho, una blanca y otra celeste que penden de la lanza, esta es de lata con su asta de dos varas y tres cuartas, que la costeo el gobierno para los paseos de los jueves por la plaza y otras actividades que se hagan por orden del gobierno”.
(“In the school a sky blue and white taffeta flag was hoisted. Its has two ribbons of more than four fingers wide, one of them white, and the other sky blue, that hang from a spear. The spear is made of brass and its staff is of 4.8 ft and three quarters. It was paid by the government for Thursdays square parades and other activities under the command of the government”.)
The text is signed by Friar Joaquín Masian, Friar Gavino Piedrabuena, Friar Pedro José Acosta and Bernabé Araoz, trustee.
Later, in 1814 an Argentine flag was used by the Tucumán Government in official ceremonies under the management of trustee Bernabé Araoz. It was the usual triband design, however the central white stripe has the text "TUCUMAN" and below that the year "1814" in golden letters.
Some historians think that the 1814 flag is the same one originally made in 1812, and that the text was later added in 1814. More research would be needed to confirm or deny it.
However, no matter being originally made in 1812 or 1814, the flag with the text "TUCUMAN 1814" is one of the oldest historical Argentine flags preserved nowadays. It is located in the San Francisco Church (next to the San Francisco Convent) in the City of San Miguel de Tucumán.
This historical flag was the one originally proposed to become Tucumán provincial flag by Dr. Miguel Carrillo Bascary before 1995. However a different and modern design for provincial flag was adopted.
Francisco Gregoric, 15 Mar 2008
On 11 November 1819 in San Miguel de Tucumán, two officers, Abraham González and Felipe Heredia, led a revolt against governor Feliciano de la Mota, that was partisan of the centralism directed by Buenos Aires government. They took the power and put General Bernabé Araoz in government. [Araoz was an] autonomist, but he denied contacts with Artigas, the federalist caudillo of the Northeast
[According to David Prando] a new flag was adopted in unknown date, probably at the beginnings of 1820 because it was already quoted in a declaration by Araoz dated 22 March 1820. The colors meant (according to Araoz) energy and constance, union and concorde. Antonio Zinny quoted the directorial band. [But] Martiniano Leguizamón denied the existence of flag and arms. David Prando has attested a simple seal, and he found another more elaborate seal in the Buenos Aires Archives. A seal in lacre appears in a document where José Pío Cisneros is designed as colonel of the militias on May 25, 1820. The flag is reproduced in this seal.
In the seal, that is a kind of arms, the Mount Aconquija [characteristic point of the province] appears. [Also, there are] palms, two halebards, and a flag of two horizontal stripes, red over blue (meaning federalism and freedom). Also in the seal there is the motto: «República Federal del Tucumán» (Federal Republic of Tucumán).
When Araoz took official possession of the charge, on May 19 or 20, 1820, he
used a band, no doubt based on this flag. The republic was short lived. War
with Salta, and rivalry between Araoz and Javier
López (another provincial leader), and the separation of Catamarca and Santiago del Estero (I assume that they were part of Tucumán before 1820) moved Abraham González to other coup d’etat. Araoz was deposed on August 29, 1821 (he fell) and the republic was abolished. [Then] González self proclaimed governor with the support of Buenos Aires. The flag disappeared with Araoz.
Jaume Ollé, 24 Jul 2003
[Editor’s note: According to the article quoted, this flag may have been used between 1820 and 1821]Source:
[The] flag of Tucumán has a [sky] blue background, a
white cross, a house nicknamed "Casita" [Little house], a sun,
two different wreaths, and two numeral inscriptions.
Jaume Ollé, 15 Aug 1999
The flag has a sky blue field. The white Christian cross stands for the Spirituality since the begginings of the Nation.
The sun above stands for the birth of Liberty in the region.
Two white numerals, 1812 and 1816 "fimbriated" in black appear at both sides of the cross. Those numerals are two important dates in the History of Tucumán:
The year 1812 recalls the Battle of Tucumán, a victory
of the patriot army commanded by Manuel Belgrano over
the royalist forces during the wars of Independence. Before
this victory (September 24, 1812) the forces sent by
the Viceroy of Lima were winning the war. Therefore, it could be said that this battle changed the course of the war in favour of Argentina. This victory is symbolized in the flag by the laurel branch below the numeral 1812.
The other numeral, 1816 recalls the year when the Independence of Argentine was officially and legally proclaimed (July 9, 1816). Independence, Justice and Peace are symbolized in the flag by the olive branch below the number 1816.
The official proclamation of Independence was made in the City of Tucumán in a private large house, nowadays known as “casa histórica de la Independencia” (Historical Independence House), where the delegates (congressmen) of the different provinces met.
The Casa Historica, could be visited nowadays as a museum. The outline of the entrance of that house is the central yellow symbol of the flag.
The design was proposed by the Legislator of the local political party Fuerza Republicana (Republican Force) Alfredo Guido Linares based on an idea by Dr. Miguel Carrillo Bascary of adopting a provincial flag. However the original proposal of Dr. Carrillo Bascary was to adopt the 1814 historical flag as provincial flag. The original idea, was later modified by the provincial legislator Linares.
Francisco Gregoric 18 Feb 2006 and 13 Mar 2008
The flag was adopted by Law No. 6694 on October 9, 1995. The text of the law appears below, first in Spanish, then translated to English:
Law text sent by Dr. Miguel Carrillo Bascary and translated by Francisco Gregoric and Gus Tracchia, 13 Mar 2008
we can find an article about the change of the provincial flag under
pressure of the religious minorities (specially jewish) because the flag
bears a great white cross. A law for supress the flag was sent
to the [Provincial] Assembly in 1999 and I don't know what happened later.
Jaume Ollé, 29 Jul 2001
In the "Breves" (News in brief) section of the electronic Diario de
Cuyo, 28 June 2005, we learn that various political sectors have asked
Governor José Alperovich to organize a plebiscite on the provincial
flag, whose cross is considered as discriminatory by non-Christian
Ivan Sache, 2 Jul 2005
The flag was adopted unanimously by the local Legislature in 1995 during the last days of government of Ramón "Palito" Ortega of the Justicialist Party. He did not promulgate the law, however the next administration with governor, former general, Antonio Bussi of the local party Fuerza Republicana (Republican Force) did promulgate the flag law.
The flag started to be hoisted in public squares, schools, official provincial buildings and parades. However soon after that a controversy started when some people said that the Christian Cross was a symbol that did not represent all the people of Tucumán, but just the Christians.
The president of the Tucumán branch of the social Jewish organization DAIA or Delegación de Asociaciones Israelitas Argentinas (Delegation of Argentine-Israeli Associations), Jaime Salamon, said the flag did not represent all the people of Tucumán.
A hard debate started about this flag where a lot of people gave their oppinions, including the former ambassador from Israel Mr. Yitzhak Aviran who according to http://www.aciprensa.com/notic1999/diciembre/notic836.htm said that "[with this flag] we come back to Inquisition".
While the government of Bussi used the flag, some members of the then opposition political parties PJ and UCR wanted to change the flag.
Finally in 1999 the Justicialist Party won the local elections: The new governor wanted to derogate the flag. A group legislators tried to do that in the local Legislature. But this could not be done because they did not have the necessary votes to do it. Some people thought a plebiscite would be necessary, so the citizens of Tucumán can choose. But it has not been done yet.
The last two governors of Tucumán since 1999, the Peronists Julio Miranda and José Alperovich have not used the Tucumán flags in local places, and the flag is not used in the province by the local government nowadays. Neither in official buildings, nor in squares, or in schools, and/or parades. However, legally speaking the flag still is «the official Flag of the Province of Tucumán» until derogated by law.
While some groups of citizens do want to change it, and have tried to do it, some other groups of citizens use it and want to keep it. For example the local party Fuerza Republicana wants to keep the flag and use it.
Therefore, nowadays the provincial flag of Tucumán is just used and hoisted inside the province by some private citizens.
The flag of Tucumán is also used in the National Senate in the City of Buenos Aires in the room room decorated with all the provincial flags, where ceremonies are held.
Francisco Gregoric, 13 Mar 2008
The flag was finally revocated on December 2008.
Francisco Gregoric, 31 jan 2011
Anything below this line was not added by the editor of this page.