Last modified: 2006-11-19 by phil nelson
Keywords: hudson bay | saskatchewan | wheat sheaf | railroad tracks | trees | grain elevators |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
contributed by Arnaud Leroy, 4 June 2006
Source: Hudson Bay town hall
History of The Hudson Bay Community
In 1757, a fur trading post was established in the Hudson Bay District, beside the Red Deer River. Ruins from the post have been found near the village of Erwood. In 1790, the North West Trading Co. set up a trading post at the mouth of the Etomami River. Speculators think that a South Company's post was set up on the opposite mouth of the River, where there are remains of a 2nd post unaccounted for.
Over the years a settlement grew and in July 1907, an application was made to erect ETOMAMI as a village. (Etomami was a native word that meant a place where 3 rivers join.) But in order to establish a hamlet, it was necessary to have fifteen occupied dwelling houses. By August, the list was completed and the village was formed. Mr. B.F. Noble was the first "overseer" of the village. The post office was also established at that time. It was located on Churchill Street approximately where the Bargain Store is now. Then in 1909 the Canadian Northern Railway Company chose the name, HUDSON BAY JUNCTION, so the name was changed.
During the early years many difficulties were encountered in trying to maintain the Village. It was even suggested at one time that it be disorganized! But as time moved on, things improved and the town continued to grow. The Town was incorporated in 1946 and at the first council meeting, which was held in 1947, the town's name was shortened by dropping "Junction". In 1958 - parking meters were introduced on Churchill Street - although they have long since vanished! The year 1958 also saw the Town switch to Mountain Standard Time. But less than two months later, they decided to revert back to Central Standard Time.
Today Hudson Bay is still a major junction with the railway running in three directions, and the highway running in all four directions. Things have changed, and come and gone, like in any community, but the warmth, friendliness and pioneering spirit lives on.
Phil Nelson, 15 October 2006