Last modified: 2011-06-13 by german editorial team
Keywords: remscheid |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
From Ralf Hartemink's International
Civic Arms website: Remscheid became a city in 1808 and the arms were
granted on February 18, 1854. The arms are based on a seal from 1556, and
show in the upper part the lion of the Counts of Berg, who ruled the area
in the 16th century. The sickle represents the speciality of the local
forges, who were well known in a wide area.
Literature: Stadler 1964-1971.
Santiago Dotor, 27 Dec 2001
City of Remscheid (Northrhine-Westphalia)
The flags ratio is 3:5. It is a blue over white horizontal bicolour.
Source: Klemens STADLER, images by Max REINHART: "Deutsche Wappen Bd.VII Nordrhein-Westfalen" Bremen 1972; p.81.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 7 Jul 2007