Last modified: 2011-02-25 by editor unassigned
Keywords: herzogtum lauenburg county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Origin/meaning: The arms were granted on November 12, 1866 by the Prussian
King as the Duchy had become part of Prussia
in 1865. The arms were discontinued when the Duchy was made a district
in 1876. Country districts were not allowed to use separate arms in Prussia.
The district continued to use the arms when Prussia ceased to exist in
The Duchy belonged to Denmark until 1816 and from 1816-1865 it belonged to the Kingdom of Hannover. The horse is taken from the arms of the Kingdom of Hannover, but the horse was made of gold to distinguish it from the arms of Hannover. The Danish Kings also used a white horse for Lauenburg, to emphasize the claims on the Duchy after 1816. In 1866 the original colours were restored and the chequered border in Prussian colours was added to distinguish the arms. The arms may be used with a golden crown since 1866.
Literature : Stadler, K.: Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland.
Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.
Source: Ralf Hartemink's site.