Last modified: 2009-07-26 by dov gutterman
Keywords: manabi | sucre |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Pascal Gross, 23 June 2000
It seems that Sucre was devided into two cantons and part of
it became San Vicente canton.
Antonio Martins, 18 January 2002
The canton was formed on 3 November 1875.
According to the map available on the municipal website, the canton of Sucre is made of two parts separated by the Canton of San Vicente. The northern part is made of the parish of San Isidro, while the southern part is made of the parishes of Bahía de Caráquez (capital of the canton) and Charapotó.
A photograph of a meeting orgenized by the municipality at <www.bahiadecaraquez.com> shows the municipal flag on the stand with the municipal coat of arms in the middle, overlapping the two green stripes. There are other photographs of the meeting room with the same flag.
However, the "Municipal symbols" section of the municipal website shows the flag, as a drawing, with a ring of ten green stars: The flag is shown with six green stars only as drawings on a PDF document available on the website of the Association of Ecuadorian Municipalities.
The number of stars does not seem to be related with the number of parishes.
The municipal coat of arms is described on the municipal website as: "The coat of arms of the Canton of Sucre mostly symbolizes the legacy on the coasts of Ecuador, and especially in Manabí, of the Caras nomadic people, which came from the north on fragile boats and settled in Bahía for a long period, and then moved away, mostly to the hinterland via river Esmeraldas and eventually merged with the Quitus and other peoples. This happened in the VIIIth century. The colonial town of Bahía was founded in March 1624 by José de Larrazábal, on the order of Antonio de Morgan, the President of the Audience and Administration of Quito.
The upper third of the shield is divided into two parts representing, on the left, the crops grown in the canton, and in the right the symbols of industry and commerce of the powerful Canton of Sucre".
The upper left quarter is argent with a branch of coffee, a bunch of banana and a pineapple (?). The upper right quarter is vert with a white cogwheel crossed by a winged staff surmonted by a Phrygian cap. The lower part of the shield represents Caras sailing on rafts. The base of the shield is red with the black number "1875", alluding to the foundation of the canton. There is a green star surmonting the shield and a scroll, horizontally divided green-white-green with the writing "Canton Sucre" in the middle, the initials in red and the other letters in black.
Ivan Sache, 18 October 2008
image from <members.es.tripod.de> (defunct), located by Pascal Gross, 23 June 2000