Last modified: 2009-07-26 by dov gutterman
Keywords: el oro | el guabo | guabo |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Based on <www.cuencadeljubones.gov.ec>
image by Ivan Sarajcic, 14 September 2007
Based on <www.mipasaje.com>
image by Dov Gutterman, 14 September 2007
there is a horizontal (2:1:2) red-yellow-green flag. However,
the provincial website report a green over yellow flag, which is
also equivalent to the pennant of the Coat of Arms. On the other
hand, the red-yellow-green flag appears on the shield itself .
Dov Gutterman, 14 September 2007
The canton of El Guabo was formed on 7 September 1878. The
place was named after a giant gujava tree ("guaba")
used to mark a small port on river Jubones used for local trade.
Translated from <www.mipasaje.com>:
"Author: Jorge Vega Izquierdo. The flag is made of two equal horizontal stripes, yellow and green. Yellow represents ripe fruit: bananas, cocoa pods, oranges, etc. Green represents the very fertile fields, where the inhabitants have their best hope. Green also means firmness, safety, roots."
The other reported flag appears in the fourth canton of the coat of arms, whose description includes:
"The lower left canton is completely filled with the colours of the flag of the canton, red, yellow and green, with a Maltese Cross overall [...]"
Ivan Sache, 4 October 2008