Last modified: 2010-03-20 by eugene ipavec
Keywords: tahal | triband: vertical (white-green-white) | castle (yellow) | crescent (green) | cross (black) | crown: royal (closed) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Wikipedia User:Miguillen, 16 Jul 2009
The municipality of Tahal (439 inhabitants in 2008; 9,500 ha) is located in the heart of the Sierra de los Filabres, 70 km north of Almería.
According to Father Tapia, Tahal appears under different names (Atahaluc, Atahelid, Atahalbe, Atahalid,Tajal) in the chronicles of the conquest of Almería by the Catholic Kings. The region was later known as "Estado de Tahal." Enrique Enríquez, the grand grandson of Alfonso Enríquez, Admiral of Castile, was granted 11 villages in the Filabres, including Tahal and its borough of Benitorafe. In the beginning of the 16th century, Tahal and the neighbouring villages were inhabited by 6,000 Moriscos and a dozen of Christians grouped in Tahal; after the Alpujarra revolt and the expelling of the Moriscos, the resettlement of Tahal officially started on 1576 with the input of 45 households. In 1593, Jorge de Baeza Oro reported that 77 villagers inhabited 55 houses in Tahal. In the 18th century, the village was transferred to the Marquis of Aguilafuente. Benitorafe seceded in 1843 but was shortly reincoporated to Tahal.
Source: Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 16 Jul 2009
The flag and arms of Tahal were approved by the Municipal Council on 24 January 2005 and submitted on 31 January 2005 to the General Directorate of Local Administration, which confirmed them by Decree on 8 February 2005, published in the Andalusian official gazette (Boletín Oficial de la Junta de Andalucía, BOJA) No. 37 on 22 Feb 2005.
The relevant parts of the Decree are the following:
Coat of arms: Spanish shield, or, three mounts vert issuant from the point surmounted by a castle of the same. A border argent charged, in turn, with four crescents sinople and four crosses sable. The shield surmounted with a Royal Spanish crown closed.
Flag: Panel in proportions 2/3, divided in three equal vertical stripes: at hoist white with a black cross, in the middle green with a yellow castle and at fly white with a green crescent.
The symbols should be registered on the Andalusian Register of Local Entities, with their official written description and graphics (as originally submitted, but unfortunately not appended to the Decree).
Source: BOJA No. 37, p. 58, 22 Feb 2005
Ivan Sache, 16 Jul 2009