Last modified: 2010-03-20 by eugene ipavec
Keywords: albuñol | tower (yellow) | tringle: hoist (white) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Albuñol (6,459 inhabitants in 2008; 6,300 ha) is located on the Mediterranean Sea, 100 km south of Granada.
Albuñol was already settled in the Neolithic, as proved by the human bones, funerary clothes and furnitures found in the Bats' Cave (Cueva de los Murciélagos), kept today in the Archeological Museum of Granada. Probably founded by the Romans, the settlement of Albuñol was in the Moorish times the capital of the region known as Greater Cehel (Greater Coast), defended by the coastal fortress of La Rábita, suppressed long time ago. In 1505, the first lord of Albuñol, Luis Zapata, purchased the town from the Catholic Kings. In the early 17th century, the domain, incorporated into the County of Cifuentes, was resettled by Catholic colonists, following the expelling of the Moriscos.
The local hero of Albuñol is the Liberal politician Natalio Rivas Santiago (1865-1958), Representative at the Cortes from 1901 to 1923 and Minister of Public Instruction and Arts and Literature in 1919-1920. The Granada-born, realist writer Pedro Antonio de Alarcón y Ariza (1833-1891) wrote parts of his work in Albuñol at the "Casa de la Margaritas," subsequently transformed into a church; his short story "El sombrero de tres picos" (The Three-Cornered Hat, 1874) was magnified in a famous ballet (1917-1919, music by Manuel de Falla, production by Serge de Diaghilev, set design and costumes by Pablo Picasso). His short story "El Amigo de la Muerte" (The Friend of Death) was among the 33 books in Jorge Luis Borges' "Babel Library" published by Franco Maria Ricci (FMR).
Source: Granada Tourism website
Ivan Sache, 05 Jul 2009
The flag and arms of Albuñol were approved by the Municipal Council on 5 November 2007 and submitted on 26 November 2007 to the General Directorate of Local Administration, which confirmed them by Decree on 3 December 2007, published in the Andalusian official gazette (Boletín Oficial de la Junta de Andalucía, BOJA) No. 246 on 17 December 2007.
The relevant parts of the Decree are the following:
Coat of arms: Shield divided per fess. 1. Quarterly per cross. 1. and 3. Gules a castle or masoned sable port and windows azure. 2. and 4. Or three sticks gules placed per pale, the central counterplaced. 2. Argent a Morisco's bust proper clothed gules with a turban vert. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed.
Flag: Rectangular flag in proportions 2:3, made of a red panel with a yellow tower masoned black and open on the field, with an isosceles triangle placed along the hoist, white with three blue wavy stripes.
The symbols should be registered on the Andalusian Register of Local Entities, with their official written description and graphics (as originally submitted, but unfortunately not apprended to the Decree).
Source: BOJA No. 246, p. 79, 17 Dec 2007 [PDF]
Ivan Sache, 05 Jul 2009