Last modified: 2010-03-20 by eugene ipavec
Keywords: maracena | swords: 2 (yellow) | swords: 2 (crossed) | jewel (red) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Maracena (20,297 inhabitants in 2008; 500 ha) is located in the northern suburbs of Grenada.
Maracena probably emerged as a Roman "villa" (estate) owned by Maratius (according to Ramón Menéndez Pidal) or Martianus (according to Emilio Morales). In 711, the area was settled by the Muharibíes, a clan affiliated to the Qaysitas tribe. Renamed Al Qaryat Marasäna, the village was fortified by Sawar ibn Handum Al Muharibí, the commander of the army that suppressed Ibn Hafsun's rebellion in 899. Muhammad ibn Malik Al Tignarí, born in the 11th century in a Maracena estate not identified yet, wrote a treatise of agronomy that contributed to the development of the agriculture in the Granada plain. Like the neighbouring villages, Maracena lived in realtive wealth and peace, in spite of being threatened by the Catholic kings. For instance, King of Aragon Alfonso I seized the village on 26 January 1126.
In 1431, King of Castile John II and his general Álvaro de Luna decided to get rid of the last Muslim state in Andalusia, the Kingdom of Granada. The Battle of Higueruela took place near Maracena. The Christian camp was set up in Maracena; the valient knight Martín Vázquez de Arce (aka Doncel de Sigüenza) was killed beteen Maracena and Atarfe but the Christian armies won the battle and marched to Granada. However, the Catholic kings did not seize Granada, maybe because of the earthquake of 1431, and waited until 1492 to suppress the Nasrid kingdom.
Source: Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 29 Jun 2009
The flag and logotype of Maracena were approved by the Municipal Council on 22 December 2008 and submitted on 1 December 2008 (sic!) to the General Directorate of Local Administration, which confirmed them by Decree on 26 January 2009, published in the Andalusian official gazette (Boletín Oficial de la Junta de Andalucía, BOJA) No. 26 on 9 February 2009.
The relevant parts of the Decree are the following:
Flag: Blue panel in proportions 2/3 with a carbuncle made of four yellow arms ornamented with a red stone in the middle with two yellow swords placed per saltire.
The flag should be registered on the Andalusian Register of Local Entities, with its official written description and graphics (as originally submitted, but unfortunately not apprended to the Decree).
Source: BOJA, No. 26, p. 32, 09 Feb 2009
Ivan Sache, 29 Jun 2009