Last modified: 2010-03-20 by eugene ipavec
Keywords: castilleja de la cuesta | stripe: vertical (yellow) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Castilleja de la Cuesta (17,075 inhabitants in 2008; 223 ha) is located 5 km east of Seville.
Castilleja might have been the Iberic settlement listed by Ptolemy as "Ucía" or the Roman colony of "Osset" founded by Caesar. In the Moorish times, the place, known as "Castalla Talaçana," was probably inhabited by farmers. In 1248, King Ferdinand III the Saint conquered the villages surrounding Seville and used them as outposts for the final assault against the town. Castilleja was renamed Alixar, a name subsequently replaced by Castellán and, eventually, by Castilleja de la Cuesta. When Alfonso X the Wise shared out the region of Seville, "Castellán" was divided in two parts. The first part was transferred to his uncle Rodrigo Alonso, the son of Alfonso IX, who swapped it in 1267 with the Order of Santiago for a domain located near Benavente. The Order of Santiago had been the main military of the king in the reconquest of Seville. The second part, known as "Calle Real" (Royal Street) was kept by the King, who appointed the Archbishop of Seville to rule it. The resettlement of Castilleja was boosted by the Order of Santiago, which granted charts to the town in 1334, 1367, 1370 and 1408. After the death of Grand Master Alonso de Cárdenas, the Catholic Kings reincorporated all the Order's territories to the Kingdom of Castilie, including Castilleja de la Cuesta. On 23 May 1539, King Charles I sold the town to Pedro de Guzmán, Count of Olivares, except the "Calle Real," that remained part of the neighbouring town of Tomares until eventually sold in 1634 only. Castelleja de la Cuesta belonged to the Olivares family until the suppression of the feudal system in the 19th century.
Source: Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 14 Jul 2009
The flag of Castilleja de la Cuesta was approved by the Municipal Council on 18 September 2006 and submitted on the same day to the General Directorate of Local Administration, which confirmed it by Decree on 3 October 2006, published in the Andalusian official gazette (Boletín Oficial de la Junta de Andalucía, BOJA) No. 206 on 24 October 2006.
The relevant parts of the Decree are the following:
Rectangular panel with the length one and a half the hoist; made of a vertical yellow stripe placed at hoist and covering 1/3 of the panel; the remaining 2/3 of the panel divided into two equal horizontal stripes, the upper Bordeaux red and the lower sea blue. The municipal coat of arms placed over the confluency of the three stripes of the flag.
The symbols should be registered on the Andalusian Register of Local Entities, with their official written description and graphics (as originally submitted, but unfortunately not apprended to the Decree).
Source: BOJA No. 206, p. 13, 24 Oct 2006
Ivan Sache, 14 Jul 2009