Last modified: 2009-02-28 by ivan sache
Keywords: bas-rhin | strasbourg | strossburi | strassburg |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Ivan Sache
Strasbourg (Alsatian, Strossburi; German, Strassburg) is located in the strategical crossroad between the Romanic and Germanic areas, materialized by the Rhine river. Its Latin name, Strateburgum (the City of the Roads) emphasized its importance.
In 842, Charles and Louis, sons of Charles le Débonnaire, pledged fidelity in the so-called Serment de Strasbourg. This the oldest known official document written both in a Romanic and a Germanic language.
The city of Strasbourg recognized Louis XIV as its souverain, seigneur et protecteur in 1681.
On the 24 April 1792, the first constitutional mayor of Strasbourg, Frédéric de Dietrich, gave a dinner for the volunteers of the Rhine Army, and asked the officer Rouget de l'Isle to write a song to celebrate the event. The next day, Rouget's Chant de guerre pour l'Armée du Rhin was officially published. The first volunteer batallion who used it came from Marseilles, and a song written in Strasbourg for an Alsatian batallion became la Marseillaise, the French national anthem.
On 27 September 1870, Strasbourg capitulated after a 50-day siege.
The city became German following the treaty of Francfort (10 May
1871) and remained it until the 11 November 1918.
Strasbourg was once again occupied by Germany from 1940 to the 25 November 1944.
Strabsourg, as an "European crossroad", was selected to host the Council of Europe and the European Parliament.
The flag is the banner of the traditional arms dating at least from the XIIIth century. The flag is to be seen on the city hall.
Ivan Sache, 26 November 2000
by Ivan Sache
The banner is a 3:2 white field with a red bend and a red serration on top.
Source: Znamierowski (French edition, 2000).
Ivan Sache, 8 March 2001