Last modified: 2011-08-20 by ivan sache
Keywords: korcula | castle (white) | st. mark (yellow) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Korčula - Image by Željko Heimer, 15 January 2009
The symbols of Korčula were adopted in July 1996. The designer is the local architect Francesca Danese-Katić.
The flag is in proportions 1:2, blue with the coat of arms, bordered yellow, in the middle.
Željko Heimer, 15 January 2009
Coat of arms of Korčula - Image by Željko Heimer, 15 January 2009
The arms show in a symbolic way the fortifications of the old town of Korčula, with at the entrance the town's patron saint, St. Mark.
This is based on a an old seal (photo), probably from the 14th century.
Laszowski's Coffee Hag album of 1939 [lsv39] gives the coat of arms in a somewhat different shape, but obviously based on that seal, while for the seal it is only mentioned that it is "medieval" without any more precise dating. Laszowski also says that the coat of arma was granted in 1898. Laszowski identifies the saint as St. Nicholas, which must be an error.
Ströhl (Städte-Wappen von Ö-U, 1904) [stl04] shows the coat of arms basically as Laszowski, except for the shield shape; Ströhl has all shields in a square-shield shape, while Laszowski have them all in a semi-circular shape, identifying the saint as St. Mark. He notes that the coat of arms drawing was granted to "Curzola" on 17 August 1898, probably meaning that it was not the coat of arms that was granted but only a new drawing of "the ancient coat of arms".
Željko Heimer, 20 August 2009