Last modified: 2011-08-20 by ivan sache
Keywords: metkovic |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Metković - Image by Željko Heimer, 12 August 1996
Metković is located on river Neretva on the border with Bosnia and Herzegovina. During the Austro-Hungarian rule, it was a very important port and a trade place, and since recently its importance was renewed, being the border town on the main road from the coast into Bosnia.
Željko Heimer, 12 August 1996
The adoption of the symbols of Metković was reported in Dolina neretve, 15 May 1996, as follows:
In the latest session of the Town Assembly of Metković, the Councillers have accepted (third time now) the proposals for the arms and the flag presented by the academic painter Nikola Vočković. He was commissioned by the Town government to propose arms. The two former proposals were accepted by the Town Assembly but were rejected by the commission of the Ministry of Administration, because they did not follow the rules of heraldry. This time the proposal got the green light from the commission before it was put in the agenda of the Town Council session.[...] The flag is red, horizontally hoisted, and has just the arms on it.
Željko Heimer, 12 August 1993
Coat of arms of Metković - Image by Željko Heimer, 12 August 1996
The aforementioned article reports:
The arms are historically based on the arms of Neretva (Narenta) which are described in Put oko svijeta (circa 1330 AD) by an anonymous Spanish friar [Book of All Kingdoms [f0f05]]. The new arms can be described as an half-circled, quadratic shield with the 1st and 4th fields blue, and the 2nd and 3rd silver, that is white. The arms are outlined with a black bordure.
Vjesnik, 20 October 2007, reports the outstanding discovery of the first edition of books by the major Croatian playwright and prose writer Marin Držić (1508-1567) from Dubrovnik. The books were found in the Milan library, from 1551; the oldest known copies by now were from 1630.
The frontispiece of one of the books shows the coat of arms of Metković (article, municipal website). The designer of the arms, adopted only in 1996, had, of course, no idea of these books. The author of the article supposes that the printer in Milan must have been acquainted with the popular portolanos by the 1330 "Spanish friar", the 1339 Dulcert's map and the 1375 Catalon Atlas, each showing a quartered flag set on the Neretva river, close enough to Dubrovnik that had no flags in those maps, and thus probably good enough for the printer to use it for illustration. Certainly, these protolanos were the insporation for the designer to propose the coat of arms in 1996.
The local magazine Metkovski vjesnik, 19 September 2008, has a story on the old hotels in Metković. A brass cup for spirits inscribed "Hotel Austria 1891" was recently discovered, engraved with floral motives a the coat of arms, uncanny the same as adopted by the town in 1996. At the time when the cup was made it must have been used as the historical coat of arms of the wider Neretva region. Similar cups of "Hotel Zagreb", built in 1914, were also found.
Željko Heimer, 27 September 2009