Last modified: 2006-01-21 by dov gutterman
Keywords: gyor-moson-sopron | kophaza | koljnof | kolnhof |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by István Molnár, 4 December 2005
Hungarian-Croatian-German village closed to the Austrian
border near Sopron city (7 km east).
Hungarian name: Kópháza; Croatian name: Koljnof; German name:
Kolnhof. First mention in 1429 as 'Kolphaza'. Origin of its name
is Peter Kolb, who had got tenures in the village.
The village was part of Sopron County of the Kingdom of Hungary. The Treaty of Trianon (1920) annexed it to Austria but the Sopron Referendum returnedit to Hungary. From 1950 the village is part of Gyor-Sopron County and from 1990 of Gyor-Moson-Sopron County.
Inhabitants by the 2001 Population Census: 1851. Ethnic affiliation: Hungarian: 98,8%; Croatian: 60,8%; Polish: 0,2%; German: 11,2%; Rumanian: 0,2%; unknown, did not wish to answer: 0,4% Religion: Roman Catholic: 93,5%; Calvinist: 1,2%; Lutheran: 1,5%; belonging to other church/denomination: 0,3%; does not belong to any church/denomination: 1,5%; unknown, did not wish to answer: 2,0%.
The village has got Croatian Ethnic Council.
Sources: <www.kophaza.fw.hu>, <www.croatica.hu>, <helynevtar.ksh.hu> and <www.valasztas.hu>.
István Molnár, 4 December 2005