Last modified: 2011-02-18 by editor unassigned
Keywords: abcoude |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
No flag-image available
In 1941 the municipalities of Abcoude-Proosdij en Aasdom and Abcoude-Baambrugge
were merged to form the present municipality of Abcoude. The municipal
arms is composed out of the Coat of Arms's of the former municipalities and were
officially granted by Royal Resolution on 3 Aug 1948 by Queen Juliana.
The arms of Abcoude-Baambrugge consisted of a shield with three columns on red and were related to the former Lords of Abcoude from the van Zuilen-family. The Coat of Arms of Abcoude-Proosdij en Aasdom consisted of a shield with two crossed keys in silver on blue. That image is probably derived from the St. Peter chapter, of which that municipality was part of. The key may also refer to the presence of a "rechthuis". where law was spoken, as the key was a symbol of power or trust.
Source: the municipal website.
Jarig Bakker, 10 May 2003