Last modified: 2008-08-09 by ian macdonald
Keywords: papua | territory of papua | blue ensign | canton (union flag) | disc (white) | crown: royal |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
1:2 image by Martin Grieve, 12 July 2008
The ensign was probably introduced for the special commissioner who was appointed when the protectorate was proclaimed in 1884, and then taken over by the administrator after the territory was annexed to the British crown in 1888. It may have gone out of use in 1901 when British New Guinea was assigned to the Commonwealth of Australia, or perhaps continued until 1906 when BNG became a territory of the Commonwealth of Australia with the name Papua.
image by Martin Grieve, 12 July 2008