Last modified: 2011-05-13 by andrew weeks
Keywords: zary |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Two flags and a Coat of Arms on this webpage.
Żary is the seat of Żary county in Lubuskie vojvodship, Poland. I couldn't
find a date
for the adoption of flags and Coat of Arms. German name: Sorau in der Niederlausitz. About 40 km wouthwest of Zielona Gora, with c. 40.000 inhabitans. Formerly in Brandenburg, Germany; assigned to Poland by Potsdam Conference in 1945.
The beginnings of settlement in Żary date back to prehistoric times. The word "Zara" (which probably referred to a small independent Slavonic tribe) appeared for the first time in Thietmar's Chronicle from 1007. At that time, during the reign of Boleslaus the Brave, the Land of Żary and Lusatia were attached to Poland.
The town was located according to the Magdeburg Law about the year 1260. Żary had three centres: a market settlement situated near the "salt route" leading from Leipzig to Wrocław, a stronghold (later on a castle) erected among swamps and a Franciscan settlement dating back to 1274.
As a consequence of turbulent history of the Silesian and Lusatian borderland, Żary frequently changed its rulers. The town was under the control of Silesian Piasts (until 1364), Czech kings (until 1635), Saxon electors (until 1815) and Prussian rulers. A famous citizen was Georg Philip Telemann - after Johann Sebastian Bach, the second most eminent German composer of the 18th century. In 1704-1709 he was the bandmaster at the court of Erdmann II Promnitz. It was in Żary that he created, among other masterpices, his "Polonaise Suite".
Jarig Bakker, 17 Sep 2002
The flags and the Arms of Zary are already approved. Only the Anthem
is still under consideration.
Part of the text, on the site you have found, says:
"The City Council has determined the flag of Zary as a rectangular sheet of fabric in proportions 8:5.
The flag is divided into four equal fields in the shape of the cross.
In the ceremonial version, the flag contains, on the color fields, the central heraldic features in the sequence from the Coat of Arms.
Also, in the center of the flag, there is a heart-shaped shield of blue color with the golden (yellow) letter "W", just like in the Coat of Arms of the city.
Basic dimensions of the flag are 160cm by 100cm
Colors are according to the polygraphic Pantone system:
red: PANTONE Warm Red U 2X
blue: PANTONE 299 U 2X
yellow:PANTONE 803 U 2X
Chrystian Kretowicz, 24 Feb 2003