Last modified: 2010-07-30 by ivan sache
Keywords: ada |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Ada - Image by Ivan Sarajčić, 30 March 2010
Quoting the Municipal website:
The municipality of Ada lies in the central part of the Eastern Bačka, on the right bank of the river Tisa. It occupies 228.6 sq. km. out of which the arable land covers some 200 sq. km. Apart from the town of Ada the municipality (24,000 inhabitants) is made of the villages of Mohol (Mol), Valkaisor (Sterijino), Törökfalu (Utrina) and Volgypart (Obornjača). The Petrina settlement can be considered as an ancestor of the present town of Ada. Later on the name was changed to Sziget, which means island in Hungarian, and on a map from 1723 the town is already mentioned as Ada Hatta. In the XIXth century the economy of the town developed; in 1836 the town of Ada was declared market town and was granted its first coat of arms.
Famous people who were born in Ada are the philologist Gabor Szarvas and Mátyás Rákosi, an ex-Prime Minister of Hungary.
Ivan Sache, 26 November 2004
Ada is a word of Turkish origin also meaning
island. In Serbian (and Croatian for that matter) the word means specifically a river island (as opposed to an island in a sea).
Large rivers in Vojvodina form quite a number of river islands, many of whom include the term ada in their name and consequently there are some settlements retaining the name as well, Ada being the largest.
Željko Heimer, 26 November 2004
According to the status adopted in 1991, the municipality has got 21,482 inhabitants, 78% of them being Hungarians.
Ada was a town in Bács-Bodrog County of the Kingdom of Hungary till 1919 and Serbian occupation. The city was incorporated in the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes by the Treaty of Trianon (1920). In 1941 it was occupied and reannexed by Hungary. The Treaty of Paris (1947) reallocated Ada to Yugoslavia.
Istvan Molnar, 18 February 2001