Last modified: 2011-04-01 by andrew weeks
Keywords: sutovo |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Šútovo lies in the skirts of National Park Malá Fatra 20 km northeastwards
to Martin (town). The area of Šútovo had been sporadically settled since
the era AD. A fortified settlement has been found by archeologists originating
from the 9th and then 11th and 12th century. Another small settlement starts
here in the middle of the 13th century, which is noticed in writing as
a village in 1403 for the first time. Šútovo originally belonged to castle
Suča of the Baláš family in the 13th century. Name of the village is according
to documents derived from "goats without horns" - (šuty). The first name
of the village used to be "Šuto". Extent of the village area is 1663 ha.
Number of inhabitants: 516.
Jarig Bakker, 25 Jan 2002