Last modified: 2009-06-27 by rick wyatt
Keywords: harrison county | ohio |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by located by Phil Nelson, 9 November 2003
based on an image at The Flag Lady's Flag Store
A green flag with the county seal on it and five clusters of three white
stars in the four corners and upper center. The county name is written
vertically in white on either side of the seal. The seal is an outer yellow
ring, central blue disk, bearing a map of the county and items from the local
economy - a farm, coal, and a tree.
Phil Nelson, 9 November 2003
The Harrison County flag is green with the county seal in the center. The
seal shows an outline of the county with symbols of importance to the residents,
a farm, tree, lake and coal. The circle represents the close connection of area
businesses, schools, organizations and communities. Fifteen white stars appear
in five clusters of three, representing fifteen townships in the county.
The flag was designed by the New Rumley 4-H Club in 2002. Each color is symbolic. The green field reminds us of the agricultural background of the county and brown stands for farms and rural areas. Gold represents famous individuals from Harrison County such as Clark Gable, General George A. Custer and U.S. Representative John A. Bingham. The blue water signifies recreation on the county's beautiful lakes, Tappan, Clendening and Piedmont. Black represents the rich coal industry that the county is noted for.
The county was established in 1813 and was named after William Henry Harrison, the first U.S. President to be elected from Ohio.
Located by Valentin Poposki, 26 September 2007