This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Northampton County, Pennsylvania (U.S.)
Last modified: 2011-07-22 by rick wyatt
Keywords: northampton county | pennsylvania |
Links: FOTW homepage |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
image by Jens Pattke, 17 October 2009
- indicates flag is known.
- indicates it is reported that there is no known flag.
Municipal flags in Northampton County:
Description of the flag
The flag of the Northampton County, Pennsylvania, is horizontally divided red over blue with county shield in the center. It was adopted 11.03.1952 for the Bi- centennial of the county. Full description and image of the shield as
described at www.northamptoncounty.org/northampton/lib/Northampton/depts/administration/countydir.pdf, page 33:
History of the County Flag and Shield
- The Northampton County flag was adopted on March 11, 1952 for the 200th Anniversary of the county.
- The top half of the flag is red and the bottom half is blue with yellow fringe.
- The shield has a white background with a yellow and blue border.
- A rose is located at the top of the words "County of Northampton", representing the one rose that was to be paid annually to the heirs of William Penn as rental for the land in Center Square, Easton.
- At the top left of the county outline is a walking figure representing the Walking Purchase of 1737.
- Below this along the western border of the county is the Court House bell, also known as Northampton County's "Liberty Bell" which was cast in Bethlehem in 1768.
- Continuing counter-clockwise is the Colonial flag, now the official flag of the City of Easton that, according to some authorities predates the Betsy Ross flag.
- Next is the Central Moravian Church in Bethlehem with its characteristic bell tower.
- The First Reformed Church of Easton, which served as a hospital during the Revolutionary War still graces the City of Easton with its high spire.
- The Parsons-Taylor Home in Easton.
- The Forks of the Delaware with the old covered bridge and early warehouse buildings.
- The original Northampton County Court House in Center Square.
- At the top, buildings representing industry in the county.
Valentin Poposki, 17 October 2009