This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Ticino canton (Switzerland)
Last modified: 2002-01-12 by
Keywords: switzerland | ticino | canton |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors
by T.F. Mills
Description of the flag Per fess gules and azure.
Horizontally divided into equal parts red over blue. Like Lucern, but for reasons unknown, Ticino's arms are different from the flag, and the two are often confused. The arms are divided vertically ("per pale gules and azure"). Like several of the flags of cantons created in 1803, Ticino's is heraldically incorrect in that tincture touches tincture (red and blue) without fimbriation.
Symbolism of the flag The symbolism of the Ticino flag has been lost, but there are numerous theories. The most plausible is that the red and blue were derived from the predominant colours of the arms of the eight districts which came to form Ticino. The flag may also have been inspired by the red and blue of the Cisalpine Republic of 1797. Less plausible theories include red for the the Swiss Confederation and blue for the sky over Italy, thus denoting "Italian Switzerland"; or that Ticino borrowed the colours from the arms of Paris and intended to honour the French Revolution or Napoleon. Least plausible is the idea that red stands for the liberal party and blue the conservatives, but neither party existed at the time the flag was adopted.
History of the flag The original three Forest Cantons (Waldstaetten) began expanding southwards into Italian states as early as the 13th century. Their conquests were confirmed in a perpetual peace signed with France in 1516 after the Italian wars. Some regions were administered by the whole Confederation, and others by the three Waldstaetten. In 1798, Lugano and Bellinzona were organised as cantons in the Helvetic Republic.
With the restoration of the Swiss Confederation in 1803, Lugano and Bellinzona merged into the new Canton of Ticino, the only Italian-speaking canton in modern Switzerland. In May 1803, two months after the creation of the canton, the Great Council resolved that the arms would be red and blue but did not specify their relative positions. The Council determined in Spetember 1804 that the red should be over the blue, but their remained confusion between the arms and the flag. In 1809 the canton organised its military forces, and adopted a red over blue battle flag with the gold inscriptions "Pro Patria" in the upper part, and "Pagus Ticinensis" in the lower. The plain red and blue flag was decisively established by law in 1930.
T.F. Mills, 03 November 1997
by António Martins
Per fess, azure and gules.
by Pascal Gross
Flaggen, Knatterfahnen and Livery Colours
Flaggen are vertically hoisted from a crossbar in the manner of gonfanon, in ratio of about 2:9, with a swallowtail that indents about 2 units. The chief, or hoist (square part) usually incorporates the design from the coat of arms - not from the flag. The fly part is always divided lengthwise, usually in a bicolour, triband or tricolour pattern (except Schwyz which is monocolour, and Glarus which has four stripes of unequal width). The colours chosen for the fly end are usually the main colours of the coat of arms, but the choice is not always straight forward.
Knatterfahnen are similar to Flaggen, but hoisted from the long side and have no swallow tail. They normally show the national, cantonal or communal flag in their chiefs.
Zeljko Heimer, 16 July 2000