Last modified: 2003-06-07 by
Keywords: hungary | fejer | balinka |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors
by István Molnár, 3 March 2003
Balinka (in German Balinka) is a village in Fejér county in Hungary near to Town of Mór (10 km south) at the Eastern edge of the Bakony Mountains. The village has got 947 inhabitants (2001 census), nearly all of them are Hungarian. One of the Official Ethnic Minorities of Hungary has got ethnic council in the village: Germans. Neighbouring settlements are: Nagyveleg, Bakonycsernye, Isztimér, Fehérvárcsurgó and Bodajk villages.
The first mention of the settlement is from 1193 as 'BOINCA', all settlers of the village were serves of the king. In 1650 King Ferdinand III gave the village to the Amadé Family. At the time of the Turkish wars the settlement was devostated in 1653. Balinka was resettled with Germans in 1758. In 1910 Balinka was a village in the Mór district of Fejér County. Number of its inhabitants in 1910: 633; 394 (62,2%) German, 229 (36,2%) Hungarian and 10 (1,6%) Slovakian by mother tongue, 561 (88,7%) Roman Catholic, 58 (9,1%) Lutheran, 11 (1,7%) Calvinist and 3 (0,5%) other by religion. After the WWII most of the Germans were deported to Germany.
Symbolism of the CoA: The Coat of Arms of the village is a standing triangular shield split in four with blue and red and in the center there is a black rosette shield. In the top left red field there is a gold mill-wheel floating over the silver wavy stripe. In the top right blue field there is a gold oak-tree - with three gold leaves and two gold acorns - growing from three-green-hills. In the bottom left blue field there is a gold plant with three silver flowers and four gold leaves growing from a three-green-hills. In the bottom right red field there is a gold crown with silver sword. In the black rosette shield there are two silver miner tools with gold shafts and below them there is a silver miner lamp lighting with red flame. The top left field relates to the medieval Eszény village now called Balinkabánya and its old mills on the Gaja brook. The top right blue field relates to Balinka village and the Bakony Mountains. The bottom left field relates to the medieval Kisgyón now called Kisgyónbánya part of Balinka - and its beautiful landscapes and flowered hills. The bottom right field relates to the medieval Mecsér now called Mecsértelep - Mecsér means sword-cutler in Slav, royal sword-cutlers lived here in the village in the medieval ages. The rosette shield relates to the mining that revived the four parts of the village after the Turkish wars. The flag of the village is white with blue-black wolfteeth, in the center of the flag there is the CoA.
Sources: Photo of the flag and description from the Mayor's Office of the municipality, historical datas from <www.morpont.hu/kisterseg/k_balinka.htm>.
István Molnár, 3 March 2003