Last modified: 2003-05-17 by
Keywords: drenthe | castle |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors
by Mark Sensen, 4 May 1999
"Or, seated on a throne of the same , the Virgin Mary in a mantle azure over a robe gules, wearing a crown composed of three fleur-de-lys or; in the right hand a scepter or with a fleur-de-lys finial, on the left knee the Christ-child in a robe argent. The shield crested by a coronet of four pearls between five leaves and three diadems or, lined gules. Supporters: two lions rampant or, armed and langued gules."
Drenthe is a province in the north of the Netherlands. It used to be part of the bishopric of Utrecht, but became more and more independent. It has not been a separate county or duchy as most of the other Dutch provinces, but it retained the status of "landschap" (a kind of self-governing area). Drenthe joined the Utrecht Union (see Utrecht), but as a landschap did not have voting rights in the republican parliament (Staten-Generaal). It became a province in 1805. The arms of the province of Drenthe are derived from the seal of the Landschap Drenthe, which depicted the same composition since 1262.
Ralf Hartemink, 3 Sep 1997
In 1938 Queen Wilhelmina had reigned the Netherlands for 40 years. On that occasion a lot of municipalities paraded in front of HM with their flags, which consisted of the provincial flag with the municipal CoA in the canton (or something...). Those municipal flags can only be considered as 'curiosities', while the status of the provincial flags is not quite clear.
Jarig Bakker, 26 January 2001