Last modified: 2004-07-31 by
Keywords: puerto rico | san lorenzo |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors
by Thanh-Tâm Le, 12 January 1999
This city of 35,163 inhabitants was founded between 1811 and 1814. The official flag of San Lorenzo is a systematic reduction of the Coat of Arms of the Muñoz [Mun~oz] de Oneca family, founders of the town.
Thanh-Tâm Le, 12 January 1999
by Nelson Román, 28 July 2004
The colors gold and red have been chosen for Coat of Arms of San Lorenzo, because they are the colors of the Muñoz lineage shield, from which Don Valeriano Muñoz de Oneca belonged to, founder of the town of San Miguel de Hato Grande, today San Lorenzo. The grill is the traditional symbol of San Lorenzo, deacon and martyr, patron of the town, because in a grill he underwent the martyrdom, slowly burned to death. The hill or mountain represent the Gregorio Hill, which dominates the San Lorenzo panorama. The cross is one of the heraldic attributes of San Miguel Arcángel, whose name was given to the town in the begining.
Nelson Román, 28 July 2004