This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Bosnia and Herzegovina - Flag Legislation
Last modified: 2023-07-03 by
Keywords: bosnia and herzegovina | bosnia | herzegovina | triangle | stars | law |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
I have heard on the radio news today that these days Bosnia and Herzegovina adopted a new law on the flag and the coat of arms. According to <www.fena.ba>, the Bosnia and Herzegovina House of Peoples adopted on 6 April 2004 changes to the law on the flag and the coat of arms in the same form as adopted by the House of Representatives a week before.
I have found also a quick reference to the matter in the "meadia round-up" on the Office of the High Representative pages at: <www.ohr.int>: "The House of Peoples also adopted changes to the law on the BiH flag and the BiH Public Attorney Office law, but in a bit different text than adopted by the House of Representatives requiring additional harmonisation of the texts between the two Houses."
Zeljko Heimer, 6 and 7 April 2004
I have now got from the Office of the High Representative in Sarajevo the Law on the Flag of Bosnia and Herzegovina, adopted by the High Representative on Wednesday 4 February 1998. The law was accompanied by a specification sheet flag drawing, which I have used to make reliable (hopefully) images.
The text of the law is as follows:
In accordance with my authority under Annex 10 of the Peace Agreement and Article XI of the Bonn Document, I do hereby decide that the Law on the Flag of Bosnia and Herzegovina enters into force with an immediate effect on an interim basis, until the Parliamentary Assembly adopts this law in due form.
No. 01/98 [signature]
4 February 1998 High Representative
Sarajevo Carlos Westendorp
LAW ON THE FLAG OF BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA
- Article 1
- This Law regulates the shape and design of the flag of Bosnia and Herzegovina, as well as its display at the level of the State of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- Article 2
- The flag of Bosnia and Herzegovina represents Bosnia and Herzegovina and is displayed as the symbol of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- Article 3
- The flag of Bosnia and Herzegovina is of a blue colour. Right of centre there is a triangle of yellow colour. Running parallel to the left side of this triangle is a row of white five pointed stars in a line from the top edge of the flag to the bottom edge. The flag of Bosnia and Herzegovina is of a rectangular shape. The relationship between the length and width is 1:2.
- Article 4
- The measurements and technical specifications regarding the design, graphic presentation and dimensions of the flag of Bosnia and Herzegovina in the Annex form an integral part of this Law.
- Article 5
1. The flag of Bosnia and Herzegovina shall be officially displayed at the level of the State of Bosnia and Herzegovina in the following ways:
- i) On all buildings of the Presidency of Bosnia and Herzegovina, the Council of Ministers and its three Ministries, the Parliamentary Assembly of Bosnia and Herzegovina, the Constitutional Court of Bosnia and Herzegovina, the Standing Committee of Military Matters, the Commission of Human Rights, the Central Bank and the Permanent Election Commission following its formation and on any other building of the common institutions or institution which is administered by or reporting to common institutions.
- ii) On all buildings of Embassies and Consulates of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- iii) On official occasions of the departure of the members of the Presidency of Bosnia and Herzegovina abroad and on their return from abroad.
- iv) On official means of transport used by members of the Presidency of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- v) On all occasions of official international visits, competitions and other gatherings (political, scientific, cultural - artistic, sports and others) at which Bosnia and Herzegovina is participating or is represented.
- vi) At the border crossings of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- 2. In all cases referred to in the previous paragraph, no other flag from Bosnia and Herzegovina shall be displayed together with the flag of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- 3. Official display of the flag in the Entities and unofficial use of the flag will be regulated by a separate law.
- Article 6
- Disrespect for the flag of Bosnia and Herzegovina is a punishable offense. Necessary legislation shall be adopted by the Entities within 2 months from the entry into force of this Law.
- Article 7
- This Law shall be published in the "Official Gazette of Bosnia and Herzegovina" and in the official gazettes of the Entities.
Jan Oskar Engene, 9 February 1998
Red dog casino