Last modified: 2003-12-05 by
Keywords: edegem | lion (black) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors
by Filip van Laenen
Edegem is located in the arrondissement of Antwerp.
The flag is white with a black lion with a red tongue and claws. It is a banner of the municipal arms, which are blazoned as:
Argent a lion sable armed and langued gules
These are the arms of the Fiennes family. This family and its descendants ruled nearby Mortsel and Edegem, jointly named Cantincroy, from 1652 to1781. Edegem, separated since 1781, has been an unimportant village for most of its existence.
The royal decree confirming the arms is dated 1 September 1932, confirming the municipal decision from 26 February 1930. The decree was published in the official gazette on 24-25 October 1932.
Source: Municipal website
The flag was adopted by Municipal decree on 29 April 1982 and confirmed by Ministerial decision 6 June 1989, as published in the Belgisch Staatsblad - Moniteur belge (official gazette) on 8 November 1989.
Source: Van evers en heiligen. Wapens en vlaggen van de gemeenten in de provincie Antwerpen [pbd98]
On the image shown above, the lion has been standardized, following the official pattern of the Flemish flag. However, this 'standard' version is not used in Edegem. where a 'local' version of the lion is prefered.
Jarig Bakker & Jan Mertens, 30 June 2003
On 7 Jan 2000, a new house style was introduced. In daily practice, the new logo is somewhat displacing the traditional coat of arms, but it has the merit of retaining the lion. Paraphrasing the official text describing the logo, we have:
The logo appears on flags, stickers, forms, signs, etc.. Moreover, each municipal service has got its own colour.
Jan Mertens, 30 June 2003Mostbet