Last modified: 2002-10-19 by
Keywords: maldegem | cross (red) | ducks: 9 (red) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors
by Filip van Laenen
Maldegem (460 inhabitants) is located in the arrondissement of Eeklo.
The flag is: Or, a cross Gules, in each of the corners accompanied by three ducks Gules, placed at the borders of the flag. Proportions are 2:3.
The flag is derived from the municipal coat of arms, described as follows:
"The arms were granted on September 27, 1909. The arms are derived from the old arms of the Lords of Maldegem. The first known arms of a Lord of Maldegem date from 1307. Philips, Lord of Maldegem, used a seal with a knight holding a shield with a cross and 12 merles. In the Gelre Roll of Arms from the early 14th century the arms of the Lords of Maldegem are shown as gold, with a red cross and 12 red merles."
For some obscure reason the merles (Dutch: merlettes) have become ducks, with beaks.
The flag was adopted on 5 October 1988.
Source: Flags of the Low Countries
Jarig Bakker, 19 October 2001Mostbet