Last modified: 2002-10-19 by
Keywords: oudenaarde | audenarde | lion (black) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors
by Filip van Laenen
Oudenaarde (27,000 inhabitants) is the capital city of the arrondissement of Oudenaarde.
The flag is: Party per fess Gules and Or in six pieces, a lion rampant Sable, armed and tongued Gules. Proportions are 2:3.
The flag is derived from the municipal coat of arms, described as follows:
"The arms were granted on May 29, 1838. The complete arms are crowned and show two savages as supporters. The arms of Oudenaarde first appear on the seal of the city dating from 1339. The oldest seal of the city, known from 1275, shows a completely different composition. The arms are a combination of the oldest arms of the Looz family and the lion of Flanders. Gerard, Lord of Oudenaarde in the early 14th century descended from the Looz family. The city was one of the main cities in Flanders and had received city rights in 1190. Hence the use of the lion of Flanders in the arms.
The basic design of the arms never changed during the centuries, but the arms have been shown with a variety of crowns and supporters. The present savages were used already in the 17th century.
The flag was adopted on 16 October 1992.
Source: Flags of the Low Countries
Jarig Bakker, 19 October 2001Mostbet