mostbet
This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Dentergem (Municipality, Province of West Flanders, Belgium)

Last modified: 2005-02-26 by
Keywords: dentergem | cross (blue) | bird: dove (white) | dove (white) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Flag of Dentergem]by Jarig Bakker


See also:


Presentation of Dentergem

The municipality of Dentergem (7,982 inhabitants, 2,599 ha) is located in the arrondissement of Tielt. It is made of the former municipalities of Dentergem, Markegem, Oeselgem and Wakken. Its main claim to fame is the Dentergems Witbier, a white (wheat) beer.

In 1899 it became known that Dentergem had already existed as a lake settlement, and there were traces of Gallo-Roman and Frankish habitation. The domain of Dentergem belonged to the lords with the same name. Letbertus lived in 1035. Dentergem was first named in 1096 as Dentrengem - Denter-ingahem = settlement of the people of Dando? Letbertus van Dentergem was mentioned in 1195, either the aforenamed or a namesake. In the XIIIth century the lords were Dancelus, Johannes, Wilhelmus and Daniel van Dentergem. Pieter van der Zype is mentioned in 1391; he was knight, lord of Dentergem and in 1398 Governor of Lille (Rijsel). He was married to Maria vam Diksmuide. The domain of Dentergem became the property of the De Gruutere family, later of the van Kerkhove family, which later styled themselves van Kerkhove van Dentergem. Roger de Kerkhove de Denterghem (de = French for Dutch van; an h added somewhere in the name was considered even more elevated) became honorary chairman of the heemkundige kring "De Paelwulghe" in 1983.

Source: Municipal website

Jarig Bakker, 2 October 2004


Municipal flag of Dentergem

The municipal flag of Dentergem is yellow with a blue cross; in the middle of the flag is a red shield charged with a white dove holding a green twig in its beak.

Source: Municipal website

Jarig Bakker, 2 October 2004

Mostbet