mostbet
This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Beloeil (Municipality, Province of Hainaut, Belgium)

Last modified: 2003-07-18 by
Keywords: beloeil |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors



[Flag of Beloeil]by Ivan Sache


See also:


Presentation of the municipality

The municipality of Beloeil was formed by the merging of the former municipalities of Aubechies, Basècles, Beloeil, Ellignies-Sainte-Anne, Grandglise, Quevaucamp, Ramignies, Stambruges, Thumaide and Wadelincourt. Its area is 6,153 ha and population 13,000 inhabitants.

The first castle of Beloeil was built in 1146. In 1311, Jean de Ligne, from the eponymic village located 15 km north of Beloeil, married Jeanne de Condé, who brought him the castle of Beloeil as her dowry. The castle has been since then the residence of the Princes de Ligne and is currently owned by the 23rd Prince since Jean (d. 1442).
The castle of Beloeil is famous for its library, which includes more than 25,000 books and its gardens à la française designed by Lenôtre in 1711. Charles-Joseph de Ligne (1735-1814) was Marshall of Austria and a personal friend of Emperor Josef II. He is the model of the brilliant and cosmopolitan diplomats of the XVIIIth century. His writings, compiled in 40 volumes, in French, cover a large array of topics, from the comparative horticulture (Coup d'oeil sur Beloeil) to a long correspondence with Josef II, the Great Catherine, Voltaire and Casanova.

The archéosite of Aubechies was opened in 1983. It shows reconstituted prehistoric and protohistoric habitats.

The marathon of Beloeil is run on the second week-end of October.

Source: Municipal website of Crosne, the French sister-city of Beloeil

Ivan Sache, 27 December 2002


Description of the flag

The flag of Beloeil is diagonally divided yellow-red. It was adopted on 18 December 1991.

The flag is based on the municipal arms of Beloeil, which are:

Or a bend gules

Ivan Sache, 27 December 2002

 

Mostbet