Last modified: 2023-07-03 by
Keywords: luxembourg | luxemburg | wallonia | lion (red) | governor | car flag |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of the Province of Luxembourg
Left, banner of the arms, unofficial but in use - Image by Geraard van der Vaart & Ivan Sache, 19 April 2001
Right, official flag, not in use - Image by Mark Sensen, 19 April 2001, arms from the official provincial website
The official flag of the province does not seem to be actually used.
The provincial website shows a photo of the unofficial banner of arms, in 2:3 proportions. A photo of the building of the Provincial Council in Arlon, illustrating the frontpage of the provincial website, shows that the "provincial" flag hoisted there is the unofficial banner of arms, too. The same flag was seen hanging on the wall during the "A village, a bicycle" workshop organized by the Provincial Council in February 2006.
Ivan Sache, 28 November 2008
According to the provincial website, the flag of the Province of Luxembourg was adopted by the Provincial Council on 3 March 1955 and confirmed by the Governor of the Province on 23 March 1955. The relevant parts of the Decree are:
According to the recommendations of the Heraldic Councils and of the Minister of the Interior, stating that the two parts of Luxembourg separated by the 1839 treaties should have an identical flag
The flag of the Province of Luxembourg shall be made of the red, white and blue colours displayed in three horizontal stripes, the red colour being placed on top.
Since the colours of the flag of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg have been officially prescribed in 1993, the blue shade should be "transfered" to the flag of the Province of Luxembourg.
As shown on a photo, the sash used by the members of the Provincial Council shows indeed a light colour of blue.
The aforementioned Decree does not mention the coat of arms. Michel Lupant [lup98] writes that the coat of arms was added "later" and shows a photo of the flag with the coat of arms.
According to Servais [svm55], the official arms of the Province of Luxembourg are 'Burely argent and azure ten pieces a lion gules double queued per saltire armed langued and gules or".
The Province of Luxembourg and the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg have the same arms, dating back to the 13th century. They belonged to Henri V the Blond (1216-1281, Count of Luxembourg in 1247), the son of Waleran III of Limburg (1180-1226) and Ermesinda of Luxembourg (1186-1247).
Ivan Sache, 28 November 2008
Colours of the Province of Luxembourg - Image by Mark Sensen, 6 February 2001
The Province of Luxembourg used, unofficially and officially after 1993, colours taken from the arms. These colours were not fixed.
A chart called Vlaggen der Belgische Provincies - Drapeaux des Provinces Belges (Flags of the Belgian Provinces; not dated, but to judge from the font type used, from the 1920s-1930s), as well as some Dutch atlases and books about the provinces, published by Rudi Koot in Vexilla Nostra [vxn]#185 (1993) p. 32-33, show the colours of Luxembourg as horizontally divided red-white-blue.
Mark Sensen, 6 February 2001
Flags of the Governor of the Province of Luxembourg
left, honorary flag - Image by Mark Sensen, 27 January 2001
right, car flag - Image by Jorge Hurtado, 19 April 2001
The honorary flags of the Province Governors were adopted by Council Order on 28 October 1936. They are shown with construction details on a book (bilingual Dutch and French) containing regulations (for the Navy?). Each flag is a square version of the Belgian national flag with the respective province arms in the center of the black stripe. The flag is 150 x 150 cm, therefore each stripe is 50 cm in width. The shield is 43.5 cm in width and 50 cm in height, excluding 3.75 cm for the point of the shield.
Mark Sensen, 27 January 2001
The car flag of the Governor of the Province of Luxembourg, as reported by Michel Lupant in Gaceta de Banderas [gdb] #65, November 2000, is a rectangular Belgian national flag with a modified version of the provincial coat of arms in the middle.
Jorge Hurtado, 19 April 2001Red dog casino