Last modified: 2007-11-03 by
Keywords: brussels | crown: royal | yacht club |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The Belgian Pneumaticlub (BPC, Club de Bateaux Pneumatiques et Semi-rigides) was founded in 1976 by pneumatic boat enthusiasts with the aim to practising their sport and enlarge its popularity, to the exclusion, however, as stated by the club statutes, of competitions.
BPC apparently uses flags but no burgees. Images from the website gallery show a yellow flag with a green (?) logotype and words, probably the club name, and a blue flag with a yellow logotype and either no words or the club name below the logotype. The yellow-on-blue logotype evokes an inflatable boat riding on three waves.
Source: BPC website
Jan Mertens, 25 February 2007
Burgee of BRYC - Image by José Carlos Alegria Diaz & Jaume Ollé, 19 July 2001
The Bruxelles Royal Yacht Club was founded on 25 April 1906 as the Yachting Club de Bruxelles. In 1913, it was renamed Bruxelles Royal Yacht Club, and his patron was King Albert I. The club grounds are still located close to the Royal palace of Laeken, on a field belonging to the Royal Settlement. In the 1970s, the club had more than 1,000 members.
The burgee of the BRYC is red with two green triangles placed along the hoist and a Royal crown in the red field.
Source: BRYC website
Ivan Sache, 29 October 2005
Founded in 1981, the GVC aims at propagating sailing as a social activity, learning and sharing experience, operating out of several ports in Belgium or nearby Zealand (Netherlands), whether members own boats or not.
The burgee of GVC is blue with a yellow fouled anchor near the hoist and the white letters GVC in the middle, the first letter placed in front of the anchor.
Source: GVC website
Jan Mertens, 22 February 2007
Burgee of RBSC - Image by José Carlos Alegria Diaz & Jaume Ollé, 29 October 2005
The RBSC was founded in 1863 by sailing enthusiasts from Ghent (surely the source of the burgee colours); originally active on the Leie (River Lys), the club was joined by motor boaters in 1906. Attempts to organize competitions on the Scheldt failed; instead, they were held on the canal linking Ghent to Terneuzen (Zealand, The Netherlands). Yachting rules are applicable in Belgium and the Netherlands, as the result of cooperation.
After the First World War, the RBSC moved from the Lys to above canal where Langerbrugge became the new base of operations but industrial expansion tended to drive yachters to the Scheldt. After the Second World War, during which there was some local activity on the Lys, the Terneuzen yachting port was opened (1947), again as a result of cross-border cooperation.
From 1951 Zeebrugge became a further base of operations; the club expanded, thanks in part to the growing number of vessel classes and additional bases such as Heusden, Duinbergen, and Het Zoute (both on what is now Knokke-Heist territory) were started. In 1995 further development of Zeebrugge yachting harbour begun, a process which has now been completed.
The burgee of the RBSC is horizontally divided black-white-black with a Royal crown in the middle of the white stripe.
Source: RBSC website
Jan Mertens & Ivan Sache, 4 April 2007
Burgee of RMYCB - Image by Ivan Sache, 23 May 2006
The Model Yacht Club de Bruxelles was founded on 31 October 1935. In 1985, the club celebrated its jubilee and was granted the status of "Royal" by the King of the Belgians. The RMYCB has been officially supported by the Belgian Navy since 1972.
The club house of the RMYCB is located in the community house of Jette. Its members sailed on the pond of Terneuken, located in Watermael-Boitsfort until 2003, when an invasion of algae forced them to move to the pond of Tervuren.
The badge of RMYCB shows a white burgee with a red (horizontal arm) and green (vertical) arm cross; it seems that the intersection of the arms is made of four triangles. Green and red are the traditional colours of Brussels.
Source: RMYCB website
Ivan Sache, 23 May 2006
Burgee of RSCAB - Image by António Martins, 26 June 2007
The RSCAB was founded in 1935 for the members of the Brussels municipal adminsitration; it is based along the canal linking Brussels to the river Rupel and, eventually, to Antwerp. The Laeken Royal Palace is on the other side. The club started out as a multidisciplinary entity but now concentrates on sailing and motor boating.
The burgee of the RSCAB, as shown on the club emblem, is divided by a white horizontal Y into three red (upper hoist), green (lower hoist) and blue (fly) fields. Although the complete emblem does not show the royal crown in a prominent position, the burgee shown on the website of the FFYB has a golden crown in a rather broad white area.
Jan Mertens, 2 March 2007
Burgee of RYCB - Image by José Carlos Alegria Diaz & Jaume Ollé, 29 October 2005
The burgee of the RYCB is white with two red triangles placed along the hoist and a Royal crown in the white field.
Ivan Sache, 29 October 2005Mostbet