Last modified: 2002-10-26 by
Keywords: brazil | bahia | itabuna | rocks: 3 (black) | cubes: 3 (black) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors
by Joseph McMillan
The first flag of Itabuna was approved by resolution no. 46 of 14 July 1958, a work presented by Professor Plínio de Almeida and rendered by the painter Walter Moreira. It was a perfect square, a white field with two royal blue horizontal stripes. In the upper left corner, in gold, was the municipal coat of arms without its branches of cocoa and coffee. The present flag is a banner of the arms, three black cubes on a gold field, canting arms of the name ita (Tupi-Guarani for "rock") and una (=black). The 5:9 proportions follow those in the image on the source, www.orlandocruz.com.br/itabu.html.
Joseph McMillan, 16 May 2002