Last modified: 2002-10-26 by
Keywords: brazil | minas gerais | borda da mata |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors
by Joseph McMillan
The flag is simply the coat of arms on a white field. The coat of arms represents the protection of the municipality by the Virgin Mary, showing on the center of a green shield the stylized initial letter M in gold. On the ribbon below the shield, the dates are 14 March 1839, when the district of Borda da Mata was created, and 16 November 1924, when it gained independent municipal status. On the center of the ribbon is the motto, Lucens ad oras silvarum, "[Mary] shining on the edge of the forest," "edge of the forest" being the meaning of the name Borda da Mata.
Joseph McMillan, 24 May 2002