Last modified: 2023-07-03 by
Keywords: brazil | minas gerais | conceição do rio verde | diagonal | fountain | star (red) | cow |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors
by Joseph McMillan
The flag of Conceição do Rio Verde can be seen at www.geocities.com/Yosemite/8733/bandeira.htm. The coat of arms is at the home page.
Dov Gutterman, 19 January 1999
And if you press the "back" button in the page, you get to a page with generic information on the municipality, including the following on the flag:
The flag of Conceição do Rio Verde was created by law number 449 of 9 June 1969. The heraldic design was produced by the heraldist Alberto Lima. What makes our flag unique is the original placement of a white stripe on a green field. These colors constitute the essential elements of our flag. The municipal coat of arms is placed on the transverse white stripe.Jorge Candeias, 20 January 1999
Heraldic description: Portuguese shield, or, in chief a star gules; in fess a range of mountains azure, upon which is placed a fountain argent; on a base vert, a barrulet wavy or, and in base the silhouette of a cow's head or. As supporters, to the dexter and sinister respectively, a branch of coffee and another of maize, both fructed proper, issuing from a silver scroll showing the following words in sable: "1732 - CONCEIÇÃO DO RIO VERDE - 1911". All ensigned with a mural crown of five towers argent, having on the central tower an ellipse azure charged with a fleur-de-lis or.
Interpretation: The Portuguese shield recalls the Lusitanian origin of our country; the star stands for the citizen Inácio Carlos da Silveira, founder of what was then Campina do Rio Verde; the mountain range speaks of the mountainous region of southern Minas Gerais; the fountain shows the hydro-mineral riches whose coverage extends to Conceição do Rio Verde, the precious liquid whose emissions are sold to improve the financial conditions of the municipality; the wavy stripe represents the Rio Verde, which serenely crosses the Rioverdense commune; the cow's head, the coffee, and the maize are the regional riches. The dates are 1732 (founding of the municipality) and 1912 (its elevation to the category of city, 1 June). The ellipse on the central tower represents the basilica of the city and the fleur-de-lis, in gold, the patronage of the municipality, Our Lady of the Conception.
Translated by Joseph McMillan, 1 July 2001