Last modified: 2002-11-02 by
Keywords: brazil | paraíba | patos | duck | church | coat of arms |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors
by Joseph McMillan
Patos is located on the banks of the Rio Espinhares, 300 km from the state capital, João Pessoa. The flag was created in 1978 after a public competition conducted by the Secretariat of Education. The winner was the painter Anésio Barbosa de Araújo, known as Flanésio. The coat of arms on the flag shows two ducks (in Portuguese, patos) swimming on a lake; the Serra do Pedro mountain range, through which lies the gateway to Patos; a sun with seven rays behind the mountains, symbolizing the seven days of the week; the church of the Immaculate Conception, the first church in Patos, symbolizing the faith of the people; and the date of the municipality's incorporation, 24-10-1903 (24 October). The shield is surrounded by branches of cotton and maize, the municipality's predominant agricultural products, and ensigned with a gold mural crown of five towers. The colors blue and white are those of the Virgin Mary, patroness of the municipality. The flag was approved by decree 021/78 of 24 October 1978.
Joseph McMillan, 9 July 2002