Last modified: 2002-11-02 by
Keywords: brazil | parana | paranagua | cross (yellow) | crosses: 4 (order of christ) | caravel | ship | lozenge |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors
by Joseph McMillan
The flag is green with four crosses of the Order of Christ separated by yellow stripes (forming a cross) issuing from a white central lozenge on which the coat of arms is placed. As usual, the coat of arms represents the municipal government and the lozenge the city itself, seat of the municipality. The green quarters symbolize the rural areas and the stripes the radiation of municipal authority to all quadrants of the territory. The colors are assigned the usual symbolism. The coat of arms is composed of a green field with a caravel sailing on waves of silver and black, showing on its sails the cross of the Order of Christ in red. On a blue chief are the profile of an island and a rising sun, both in gold. The shield is flanked by a stalk of cane and on the a branch of coffee. The name of the municipality is inscribed on the scroll, flanked by the date 29 July 1648.
Source: Official municipal website
Joseph McMillan, 11 July 2002