Last modified: 2002-03-23 by
Keywords: brazil | santa catarina | brusque | cogwheel | bend sinister | axe |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors
by Joseph McMillan
The flag of the Municipality of Brusque is white with the municipal coat of arms on the center. The coat of arms, approved by Law No. 158 on 22 December 1956 and modified by Law No. 2351/99 on 2 July 1999, is green with a wavy bend sinister in silver between a cogwheel and an axe, both gold. The shield is of the round-bottomed Portuguese style, representing the Portuguese origins of the Brazilian settlers. The shield is ensigned with a gold mural crown, which the law ascribes as emblematic of a city that is a municipal seat. The red scroll is inscribed in silver with the name of the municipality between the dates 1860 (the date that the colonization of the area by German settlers was approved) and 1881 (the date Brusque became a separate municipality. The green field symbolizes the primeval forests, the wavy silver stripe the Itajaí-Mirim River, the gold axe the pioneering work of the first settlers and explorers, and the cogwheel the textile and other industries established in the area. A gold cross in superimposed on the center of the cogwheel to represent the Christian faith. The gold color is said to represent labor and the efforts of the people to develop the common fatherland of Brazil. The combination of green and gold is also supposed to recall the colors of the national flag.
Joseph McMillan, 9 March 2002