Last modified: 2002-07-13 by
Keywords: brazil | santa catarina | brusque | cogwheel | bend sinister | axe |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors
by Blas Delgado Ortiz
The flag is from www.saofranciscodosul.com.br.
Dov Gutterman, 23 January 2002
The coat of arms was designed by the historian Dr. Affonso de Escragnolle Taunay. It shows a Portuguese ship from the 1500s with all sails set, representing the arrival of the explorers and their taking possession of the coast for o domínio das quinas (Portugal). The five escutcheons along the chief represent those who explored and settled the area. First, the arms of Álvaro Nuñes Cabeza de Vaca, who arrived at this area in 1540; the fleur-de-lis also refers to Norman Frenchmen from Honfleur who visited the bay in 1504. Second, the Sanábria family, recalling a Spanish attempt to settle the area in 1549, with the bishop's crosier representing the first illustrious person to be born in the area, Fernando de Trejo y Sanábria, born in 1554 and later Bishop of Tucumán in Argentina. Third (and largest) the arms of Pero Lopes de Souza, the first donatary of Santa Catarina, chartered as such by King D. João III. Fourth, the arms of the Fernandes family quartering those of the Andrades, among the first to receive charters to bring settlers. And fifth, Rodrigues quartering Pires. On the mural crown is an escutcheon showing the stigmata of St. Francis of Assisi (the municipality's namesake). The supporters are a Paulista bandeirante and a Spanish conquistador. The shield is flanked by branches of manioc and rice. The motto is In littore pro Brasilia vigil, (On the shore on watch for Brazil). São Francisco do Sul was traditionally the last outpost of Brazil on the border with Spanish-controlled territory.
Joseph McMillan,18 March 2002