Last modified: 2003-09-06 by
Keywords: sao paulo | bernardino de campos | triangles: 3 (hoist) | coat of arms | tree (fig) | stars: 2 (silver) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors
7:10 by Joseph McMillan
Adopted 28 June 1978
The coat of arms and flag of Bernardino de Campos were adopted by law no. 741/78 of 28 June 1978. The flag was designed by Lauro Ribeiro Escobar and is typical of his work. It is 7:10 and has a green field with a series of progressively smaller isosceles triangles based on the hoist and superimposed on each other--yellow, green, and white--forming points indicating progress toward the future. The municipal coat of arms is on the white triangle in the hoist. The arms, designed by Alberto de Lima, are green with a gold fig tree (Portuguese figueira) between two silver stars, and in chief and in base two silver bars wavy. The colors are assigned the usual significance typical of Brazilian municipal heraldry. The fig tree alludes to the original name of the settlement, Figueira, and is also described as a symbol of longevity, peaceful working life, peace, sweetness, candor, fecundity and tranquiliity. The stars are in memory of the city's namesake, Dr. Bernardino José de Campos Júnior, and its founder, Captain Manoel Joaquim de Lemos. They are also described as heraldic symbols of light in the night, dependable guides, aspiration to greater things, etc. The bars wavy are taken from the personal arms of Bernardino de Campos; in the arms of the municipality, they represent the Paranapanema and Pardo Rivers. The shield is flanked by stalks of coffee and rice; the shield is ensigned with a silver mural crown; and the scroll is inscribed with the name of the municipality, the year it was founded (1891), and the year it attained municipal status (1923).
Source: Official municipal website
Joseph McMillan, 28 August 2002