Last modified: 2003-09-06 by
Keywords: sao paulo | campinas | phoenix |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors
by Joseph McMillan
Source: Official municipal website
Joseph McMillan, 6 February 2001
The municipal coat of arms was created by Ricardo Gumbleton Daunt, better known as Dr. Ricardo, and was approved on 30 December 1889. The bird on the center of the coat of arms is the phoenix, representing the recovery of Campinas after the epidemic of yellow fever that decimated a large part of the city. The mural crown placed above the shield is said to represent the strength and vigor of the city. In base, the scroll shows the phrase Labor Virtude Civitas Floret (In work and virtue the city flourishes). On the sides are a branch of sugar cane and one of coffee, symbolizing the pillars of Campinas' economy. The flag was also created by Dr. Ricardo, approved on 16 June 1961 by law no. 2523, and promulgated 10 days later by then-Prefect Miguel Vicente Cury. According to its creator, the white field represents purity, the shield and blue letters loyalty, and the yellow wealth. As in the coat of arms, the phoenix represents the immortality of the city, capable of being reborn from the ashes of the difficulties through which it passes.
Joseph McMillan, 22 March 2002
Dr. Ricardo Daunt was a Scot who set up residence in Campinas and died in the early 20th century. He created the coat of arms in 1889 and the city began using it. However, it only became official in 1961.
James Rezende Piton, 25 April 2003