Last modified: 2005-02-12 by
Keywords: central saanich | british columbia | totem pole | daffodil | salmon |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Christopher Bedwell
The District of Central Saanich is located on the Saanich Peninsula, 21 kilometers north of the British Columbia capital city of Victoria on Vancouver Island. The District is bounded on the north by the District of North Saanich , on the South by the District of Saanich , on the east by Haro Strait and on the west by the Saanich Inlet.
Central Saanich was incorporated as a Municipality on December 12, 1950. The first Council consisted of Reeve Sydney Pickles, Councillors Harold Andrew, Ray Lamont, Willard Michell and Lorne Thomson. The first Central Saanich Council meeting was held on January 16, 1951 in the Women's Institute Hall (formerly the Temperance hall, and now the Central Saanich Lions Hall) on East Saanich Road. The municipal offices moved from there to the Pioneer Log Cabin located at the old "Fairgrounds" site on East Saanich Road where the Council continued to hold meetings until a Municipal & Fire Hall was built in late 1951. This Hall was also located on East Saanich Road.
The Central Saanich Fire Department was established in 1951. That same year the Municipal Police Department was also founded and consisted of one Chief Constable equipped with a pair of handcuffs, a blackjack and a 38 calibre revolver.
District of Central Saanich