This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Novi Sad (Municipality, Serbia and Montenegro [Serbia])
Last modified: 2004-11-06 by
Keywords: novi sad | ujvidek | neusatz |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
History of Novi Sad
Novi Sad (Hungarian, Ujvidek; German, Neusatz) is a town and district, and the capital city of Vojvodina, on the left bank of the Danube. The town has got 178,896 inhabitants (1990 census).
- 1237: First mention of the settlement, as Petervar, part of Bács County in the Kingdom of Hungary.
- 1526: Occupation and devastation by the Ottoman Empire.
- 1688: Liberation from the Ottoman rule.
- 1692 & 1739: Establishment of Serbian refugees.
- 1748: Free Royal City with the new name of Neoplanta granted by Queen Maria Theresa.
- 1848-1861: The city was part of the Serbian Vojvodina and Banat of Tamis.
The 1910 population census yielded 33,590 inhabitants, divided as follows:
- Census by mother language:
- Hungarian: 13,343 (39.7%)
- Serbian: 11,594 (34.5%)
- German: 5,918 (17.6%)
- Slovak: 1,453 (4.3%)
- Ruthenian: 332 (1.0%)
- Others: 950 (2.8%)
- Census by religion:
- Roman Catholic: 13,383 (39.8%)
- Greek Orthodox: 11,553 (34.4%)
- Lutheran: 3,089 (9.2%)
- Calvinist: 2,755 (8.2%)
- Jewish: 2,318 (6.9%)
- Others: 492 (1.5%)
From 1918/1920 (Declaration of Novi Sad / Treaty of Trianon) to 1941, the city was incorporated to Yugoslavia. In 1941, the area was occupied and annexed by Hungary. The Treaty of Paris reallocated it to Yugoslavia in 1947.
István Molnár, 8 October 2000
Flag of Novi Sad (Ujvidek) in Austro-Hungarian Empire
by István Molnár
The flag of Ujvidek has seven unequal blue and white vertical stripes.
Source: Sándor Széll. Városaink neve, címere és lobogója [szs41].
István Molnár, 24 September 2002