This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Vršac (Municipality, Serbia and Montenegro [Serbia])
Last modified: 2004-11-06 by
Keywords: vrsac | versec | werschitz | gyronny |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
History of Vršac
Vršac (Hungarian, Versec; German, Werschitz) is a town and district in Vojvdina, close to the Romanian border. The town has got 36,940 inhabitants (1990 census).
- XIVth century: Foundation of the settlement by Serbian refugees.
- 1439: First mention of the city, part of the Krasso county in the Kingdom of Hungary.
- 1459 & 1481: Serbian settlements in the city.
- 1552-1716: Part of the Ottoman Empire.
- 1717-1778 Part of the Governorate of Temesch in the Hapsburg Empire.
- 1717-1751 and 1775-1778: Seat of a district.
- 1778: Reunification of Governorate of Temesch with Hungary. Vršac part of the renewed Temes county.
- 1795: Unification with a German neighbouring village.
- 1804: Borough.
- 1850-1861: After the defeat of the Hungarian Independence War (1848-1849), allocated to a new province (Governorate of Temes and Serbian Vojvodina).
- 1861: Free Royal City.
The 1910 population census yielded 27,370 inhabitants, divided as follows:
- Census by mother language:
- German: 13,556 (49.5%)
- Serbian: 8,602 (31.4%)
- Hungarian: 3,890 (14.2%)
- Romanian: 879 (3.2%)
- Others: 443 (1.6%)
- Census by religion:
- Roman Catholic: 16,336 (59.7%)
- Greek Orthodox: 9,544 (34.9%)
- Jewish: 743 (2.7%)
- Others: 747 (2.7%)
In 1919, the city was under French occupation. From 1920 (treaty of Trianon) to 1941, the city was incorporated to Yugoslavia. In 1941-1944, the area was occupied and annexed by Germany. The treaty of Paris reallocated it to Yugoslavia in 1947.
The city is the birthplace of the Hungarian writer Ferenc Herceg.
István Molnár, 9 October 2000
Flag of Vršac (Versec) in Austro-Hungarian Empire
by István Molnár
The flag of Versec is a gironny of blue and white.
Source: Sándor Széll. Városaink neve, címere és lobogója [szs41].
István Molnár, 24 September 2002