Last modified: 2002-04-20 by
Keywords: zbraslav |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors
The town district Praha - Zbraslav is situated in the south end of Prague near the confluence of the river Vltava and Berounka Area: 986 hectares. Zbraslav consists of two administrative regions - Zbraslav and Lahovice with (31.12.1995) - 7,791 inhabitants. The history of Zbraslav is closely linked with the history of the Zbraslav's monastery. The first written references about Zbraslav are from 1115 when it belonged to the Kladruby monastery. In 1268 King Premysl Otakar II gained Zbraslav and built a small hunting castle there. In 1292 King Vaclav II established a monastery assigned to the Cistercian order. The monastery soon became the political centre of the Czech state. The monastery was damaged during the Hussite wars and was almost completely destroyed in the thirty year war. The era of subsequent bloom ended in 1785 when the monastery was abolished by the Emperor Joseph II. In 1787 a sugar mill was built within the former monastery buildings. In 1825 the Zbraslav estates were sold to the Prince Oettingen/ Wallerstein. During his administration the whole region florished economically. In 1850 Zbraslav became the seat of the district council. In 1910 Mr. Cyril Barton bought the estates. It was to his credit that the former monastery, destroyed by industrial production, was fully reconstructed. Today the monastery holds a part of National Gallery's collections. The remains of last Premysl family's members were placed in St. Jacob church in 1991. Apart from many historical monuments Zbraslav is renown by its lovely environs and beautiful countryside.
Source: Zbraslav homepage.
Jarig Bakker, 7 Jul 2001