This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Nizbor (Czech Republic)

Beroun okres, Central Bohemian region

Last modified: 2023-07-03 by
Keywords: nizbor |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

This page is best viewed with ISO:8859-2, aka Latin2, aka Central European fonts
[Nizbor municipality flag] by Blas Delgado Ortiz, 21 Aug 2001
Adopted 23 Nov 1995 See also:

Nižbor municipality flag

Image after Petr Exner's Vexilologický Lexikon prapory obcí ČR (1995) - Nižbor, Beroun district, Central Bohemian region - adopted 23 Nov 1995.
The municipality of Nižbor lies northwest from the city of Beroun in the Berounka river valley.
Other settlements incorporated in the region include Stradonice and Žloukovice. Population: Nižbor - 1147, Stradonice - 136, Žloukovice - 150. Municipal seal: a royal crown adorned by a castle, the wavy banks of the Berounka, and an oak sprig symbolizing the oak forests which originally covered the area. THE HISTORY OF NIŽBOR - at the beginning of the 16th century, Ota of Los received permission from King Vladislav to build a new iron foundry. Around the foundry arose the dwellings of the workers, which laid the foundations for the town of Nové Hutí, later renamed Nižbor. CULTURAL MONUMENTS AND DISTINGUISHED FIGURES OF NIŽBOR - the major town landmark is Nižbor Chateau, originally a royal Early Gothic castle founded on a promontory overlooking the Berounka by King Přemysl Otakar II. From 1720 - 1724, the castle was renovated as a chateau. Over the years, the entire building has suffered considerable damage due to poor maintenance. Distinguished figures associated with the district include Bedřich Smetana, singer Gabriela Roubalová, and physician Emerich Maixner who was born here. Another local landmark is the observatory with its cupola. The building was constructed at the intersection of the 14th longitudinal and 50th latitudinal lines. NIŽBOR TODAY - during the summer months Nižbor is a popular recreational center, there is a public campground here, and a number of hiking trails leading from the town to Křivoklát and Lány.
Info from this site.

Nižbor CoA

[Nizbor Coat of Arms] image from this site, located by Jarig Bakker, 10 Sep 2001
  Red dog casino