Last modified: 2002-05-31 by
Keywords: ceske budejovice | budweis |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors
A village, that was already noted in the year 1186, was at the end of the 13th century the residence of the Vítkovci family and was later owned by the Rožmberks. The next owner, Peter from Linda, established an Augustinian monastery in Borovany with the church of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary, that was built in the Late Gothic style during the years 1455-1466. Its Baroque tower is from the year 1729, in the year 1746 a Baroque chapel with rich fresco decorations was built as an extension on the north side of the church. The representative three-winged building in the Baroque style from the year 1760-1770 was used as the location of the monastery prelacy. After the monastery was disestablished in the year 1785, the owners of Borovany at that time, the Schwarzenbergs, changed it into a castle. The area of the former Trocnov, where the Hussite leader Jan Žižka from Trocnov was born, is one of the most visited places of the Borovany region.
Jarig Bakker, 29 May 2002