This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Luze, Czech Republic
Chrudim okres, Pardubice region
Last modified: 2004-06-05 by
Keywords: luze |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
This page is best viewed with ISO:8859-2, aka Latin2, aka Central European fonts
by Jarig Bakker, 11 May 2004
adopted 25 Nov 2003
Luže municipality flagImage after Petr Exner's Vexilologický Lexikon prapory obcí ČR (2003) - Luže, Chrudim district, Pardubice region - adopted 25 Nov 2003.
Luže is situated 130 km eastward of Prague, 22 km eastward of Chrudim and 15 km southward of Vysoke Myto. Luže was founded on the right side of the river Olsinka (Novohradka, Kamenice), on the boundary of the wooded Bohemian-Moravian Highlands and fertile Labe's lowland.
An older settlement appeared here as early as in the 12th century. The first evidence about Luže has been dated from the year 1250 when it raised from the coupling of the older settlement of Kamenicza and the newly founded townlet of Luža. The first direct reference has been come from 1349 in context of an award of the church to newly founded Litomysl's bishopric. In the document dated from 1372 it has been a mention that Luža (Luže) had been the centre of trades, business and farming.
History of the settlement is intimately bound up with the fate of the Kosumberk castle. At first Luže and neighbouring villages were as a part of the holding of Lords of Chlum and Kosumberk, later of the Slavata family of Chlum and Kosumberk - the important representatives of Protestant aristocracy. In the middle of the 17th century the male line of Lords of Kosumberk became extinct and the new owner of the Kosumberk domain became the Hieserl family through the last Slavata consort. In 1690 the Kosumberk was donated to the Jesuit order that was the proprietor until the corvée cancelling. The last owner of the Kosumberk domain became the Bavarian family of Thurn und Taxis that owned the domain till the constitution of the Czechoslovak republic. In the first decades of the 20th century mass meetings were taken place in the Kosumberk.
Source: the Luze website.
Jarig Bakker, 11 May 2004
Luže CoA from the Luže website.
The coat of arms of the town of Luže developed from the seal emblem with the arms of the Slavata family of Chlum and Kosumberk. Since 1708 it has been substantiated with documents where it has been mentioned that the town had been awarded with the Slavata coat of arms (a red field of the shield with three silver beams had been used previously as the Luze coat of arms). The coat of arms comprises a blue field in the shield with three gold beams. It has been pictured as a relievo (since 1856) in the south side of the Municipal hall (but with incorrect number of two beams).
Since 1855 it has been substantiated with get-at-able sources household using the title of the town in the state administration. Last references about the town office can be found in the town chronicle up to the year 1950. At present the municipality of Luže aims for the return of its historical status of the town.
Red dog casino